Artisan Sourdough Three Day Baking Workshop with Wayne Caddy
June 12 @ 9:00 am - June 14 @ 5:00 pm
*Please note, this is an invited class only and will not have tickets available to the public*
Class timing 9am-5pm each class day
Course tuition $1,200
All class materials included, with lunch provided each class day
A focused 100% sourdough workshop delving into breads from around the world plus some of Wayne’s unique creations, using different grains, technique and fermentation systems.
The three day practical workshop is aimed at the professional baker, advanced home baker, micro baker or chef, delivering professional skills and baking know how to consistently produce a wide range of long fermented naturally leavened, 100% sourdough using a wide variety of flour. The workshop facility will allow you to work and utilize professional baking equipment and large batch quantities.
Working in teams you will produce large batches of breads and experience the whole bread making process to level up your skills.
What You’ll Practice
- Under the watchful eye of Wayne Caddy… UK’s representative at the baking Coupe du Monde and Master de la Boulangerie, and Chief Sourdough Slinger, you will cover numerous topics including:
- Flour grading and type; using a wide variety of wheat, heritage, non wheat and gluten free flours
- Wild yeast and bacteria
- The 5 pillars of fermentation
- Production planning
- Professional recipes, ingredients and formulas
- Incorporating inclusions
- Professional bread mixing methods, including double hydration dough and autolyse techniques
- Ambient and cold bulk fermentation/folding and final shaping techniques
- Traditional razor blade techniques for scoring
- Final dough temperature calculation and achieving consistent baking results
- Operation of professional baking equipment
- Nutrition and flavour impacts
- Handling high hydration dough
Recipes covered – may be subject to change
- Sourdough baguette
- Country wilds
- Potato and buttermilk crowns with rosemary
- New York deli rye
- Persian bread (Barbari)
- Chocolate panettone
- Polenta and chilli sourdough
- Spelt sourdough
How to apply for the class
Due to the large amount of interest, limited seating, and the high level of baking aptitude needed for this course, all interested parties must submit a CV or resume of experience to be considered for the class. Wayne Caddy will be on the selection committee. Please submit your experience no later than February 14th
Send to [email protected] – You will receive further information about next steps after receipt.
Wayne Caddy is the Chief Sourdough Slinger! He has close to 4 decades of baking experience with the last 20 years spent consulting in a wide variety of projects from large scale industrial to micro artisanal baking. From winning the Student Baker of the Year award in 1995, Wayne has travelled the world visiting bakeries to strengthen his knowledge of origins and regional differences, culminating in representing the UK at the Coupe du Monde and Masters de la Boulangerie; Wayne was awarded the prestigious “Elite de la Boulangerie Internationale” award.
Wayne has recently run worldwide workshops in Thailand, Germany and America and has a decade of experience in writing the curriculum for, and then going on to teach, the Advanced Diploma at the School of Artisan Food before moving on to setting up Sourdough Slingers Ltd, his own business offering intensive bread workshops, aimed at levelling up baking skills in key disciplines of fermentation in particular sourdough. Wayne’s passion for bread innovation techniques, regenerative wheats and local grains plus sharing of knowledge is at the heart of Sourdough Slingers Ltd.